This superfood-boosted pineapple and watercress smoothie is an absolute winner for taste and nutrition! Don't let the pretty little watercress leaves fool you — they have a wonderful peppery kick and are mighty nutritional powerhouses. In fact, when the CDC studied which fruits and vegetables were the most nutrient-dense, watercress was ranked #1!
Watercress has been used medicinally for centuries. It is believed that Hippocrates chose the location for the first hospital on the Greek island of Kos circa 400 BC based on the availability of watercress for patients!
Watercress is packed with vitamins & minerals. It also contains amazing phytonutrients that help to protect cells from DNA damage. Studies have shown that these compounds can help fight cancer, inflammation, diabetes and hypertension. Regular consumption of this leafy green may also have benefits for the heart, eyes, skin and bones.
For 2 servings, blend together until smooth:
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or nut-free milk
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- a large handful of fresh watercress
- 1/4 to 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 2 Tbsp shelled hemp hearts (gluten-free if needed)
- optional: 1 tsp matcha powder, 1/2 tsp chlorella powder, 1/2 tsp spirulina powder, and/or raw honey (nonvegan) or pure stevia to sweeten as desired