This luscious fig and kefir smoothie is a true breakfast of champions! It is loaded with disease-fighting antioxidants as well as fibre, healthy fat, protein and probiotics to keep your body happy, healthy and well-fueled for hours.
Fresh ripe figs are tender and sweet. They have a unique taste with undertones of peach, strawberry and vanilla. Figs are high in soluble fibre and a good source of several essential minerals.
Figs have been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years to combat a range of illnesses, from anemia to eczema. They contain powerful polyphenols and other bioactive compounds that are believed to have numerous health benefits, including anticancer, antidiabetic, anti-aging and antibacterial effects.
For 2 servings, blend until smooth:
- 5 fresh figs
- 1 cup coconut or other milk-based kefir
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup natural walnuts
- 4 Tbsp shelled hemp hearts
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp each ground turmeric & cinnamon
- pure stevia or agave to sweeten as desired