Quinoa isn't just for dinner! This is a great protein-rich porridge that can be made ahead for a quick morning meal, served hot or cold.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup uncooked gluten-free quinoa
- 1 cup canned organic coconut milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free flaxseed meal (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- Optional toppings: yogurt (plain nondairy or Greek), unsweetened shredded coconut, nuts, seeds, puffed quinoa, diced avocado, sliced banana, berries, and/or cacao nibs or dark chocolate pieces
- Wash the quinoa. To do this, place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer sitting in a bowl. Cover with water and gently rub the grains together with your hands for 30 seconds. Rinse and drain. Repeat this process 2 more times.
- Combine the quinoa and coconut milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes with occasional stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir-in vanilla, flaxseed meal, and ground chia.
Serve immediately with your favourite toppings. Here we have added yogurt, shredded coconut, natural pecans, roasted pumpkin seeds, raspberries, and flavonoid-rich 99% dark chocolate. Alternatively, this quinoa porridge can be refrigerated for 3 to 4 days and enjoyed warm or cold.