This blueberry & watercress smoothie delivers a veritable cornucopia of taste and nutrition!
The CDC has studied nearly 50 fruits and vegetables to comprise a list of which ones are the most nutrient-dense. Both watercress and spinach rank in the top 5, with spinach #5 and watercress #1!
Watercress is absolutely packed with vitamins & minerals. It also contains amazing phytonutrients that help to protect cells from DNA damage. Studies have shown that these compounds can help fight cancer, inflammation, diabetes and hypertension. Regular consumption of this leafy green may also have benefits for the heart, eyes, skin and bones.
For 2 servings, blend together until smooth:
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 1 cup canned organic coconut milk or plain Greek yogurt
- one large handful of fresh watercress
- one large handful of fresh baby spinach
- 1 scoop or packet collagen peptides or protein powder of choice (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- pure stevia, raw honey (nonvegan) or maple syrup to sweeten as desired