We absolutely love vegan ice cream at my house. The kids suggested the combo of matcha and mint chip since they are big fans of both flavours. I also added a splash of lime for freshness -- and because research shows that citrus helps increase the absorption of antioxidants from the matcha!
Nice cream uses frozen banana as its base and is a great dairy-free alternative to ice cream. Here I used a combination of banana and coconut milk cubes. The cubes are great to have on-hand for adding to smoothies or making healthy treats. And they are super simple to prepare. Just pour well-shaken canned organic coconut milk into standard ice cube trays and put in the freezer overnight.
Matcha is made by grinding high quality nutrient-rich green tea leaves into a fine powder. It contains amazing phytochemicals that are believed to:
- reduce inflammation
- fight against diseases including cancer
- boost energy
- increase metabolism and support healthy weight loss
- improve memory and concentration
- induce a sense of calm
- improve immune function
- detoxify the body of heavy metals and other harmful chemicals
For 4 servings, mix together in a heavy-duty blender*:
- 2 handfuls frozen coconut milk cubes
- 2 frozen bananas
- a squeeze of lime juice
- 2 to 3 tsp high grade matcha powder
- a few drops of pure peppermint extract (adjust to taste)
- pure stevia or raw honey to sweeten as desired
For a mint-chip version, lightly pulse-blend or stir-in raw cacao nibs just before serving.
*Note: I use the frozen dessert setting on the Vitamix. You put all of the ingredients into the container, turn it on, and mash everything together into the blades with the tamper. C'est tout! Quick and yummy!