The surprise ingredient in this thick and delightful strawberry protein shake is cauliflower. It adds wonderful creaminess and nutrients without the sugar of fruit.
Cauliflower is a super nutrient-dense cruciferous vegetable. It is low in calories and carbs but rich in vitamins & minerals, fibre, and disease-fighting glucosinolates, phenols and other powerful phytochemical. Because of its low-cal, high fibre status, cauliflower is great for constipation and healthy weight control. It also contains compounds that help to balance hormones and support liver function.
Cruciferous vegetables — a family that also includes broccoli, kale and brussel sprouts — have been getting a lot of attention of late. Studies suggest that these nutritional powerhouses may have a role in preventing chronic illnesses such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's, and even certain cancers.
For 2 servings, blend together until smooth:
- 1.5 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 to 1.5 cups frozen strawberries*
- 1 cup steamed-then-frozen cauliflower
- 1 scoop unflavoured protein powder
- 1 Tbsp collagen peptides (omit for vegan)
- 2 to 4 Tbsp cashew nut butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pure stevia or raw honey (nonvegan) to sweeten as desired
- optional toppings: unsweetened toasted coconut chips and raw cacao nibs
Add toppings as desired and enjoy!
*Notes: Use 1 cup strawberries for a lower carb smoothie. Each 1/2 cup serving of strawberries contains 6 grams of carbs.