My chicklets love the minty twist on this refreshing spinach and pineapple smoothie!
We are an active family and it's great to get in a some drinkable greens at breakfast or as a pre-dinner snack enroute to our extracurricular activities! This really is the kind of shake that can be enjoyed anytime of the day.
Many of us are aware of the importance of eating leafy greens. However, pineapple is also a nutritional powerhouse. It is rich in vitamins, minerals, fibre, antioxidants, and a complex enzyme called bromelain. This protein-digesting compound is believed to have numerous health benefits, including anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and pro-digestive effects. Furthermore, the vitamin C in pineapple helps the body absorb the iron in the spinach!
For 2 servings, blend together until smooth:
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond or nut-free milk (adjust to desired consistency)
- 2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
- 1.5 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 frozen or ripe banana (optional)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 2 servings collagen peptides (omit for vegan)
- 1/2 tsp chlorella powder (optional)
- few fresh mint leaves or a couple drops of pure peppermint extract (adjust to taste)
- raw honey (nonvegan) or pure stevia to sweeten as desired