Chia pudding is an easy make-ahead, grab-and-go breakfast staple at our house. It is nutritious, delicious and versatile, and can literally be thrown together in minutes the night before.
And who doesn't love a little chocolatey red velvet goodness? This fun, flavourful and healthy cacao & beetroot pudding is one of my kids' favs. Yes, you read that right — beetroot! But even if you're not a beet fan like me, don't be scared off here!! Beetroot powder adds beautiful colour and amazing vitamins, minerals and antioxidants with only a mild sweet earthy flavour.
Chia seeds have a mild nutty taste and are extremely nutrient-dense. They are rich in fibre, minerals, plant protein, antioxidants, and omega 3s.
In fact, a 2 Tbsp serving of chia seeds contains approximately 4 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrate, of which 11 grams are actually fibre!
Unfortunately, the ALA fatty acids in chia seeds are not easily converted by our bodies into EPA & DHA, the omega 3s our bodies need. This means it is still important to consume omega 3-rich fish or take supplements with fish oils or vegan algae.
Let's Boost this Baby
Here I have made my chia pudding wonderfully creamy and satisfying by using coconut milk, protein powder and collagen peptides for extra healthy fat and protein. It has also been amped-up a couple notches thanks to antioxidant-rich cacao and beetroot powders.
Gut Health: Prebiotics, Probiotics & Collagen
There is emerging evidence that our gut plays an important role in our overall well-being that extends far beyond digesting food! This brekkie contains prebiotics, probiotics and collagen -- all of which help to improve gut health. To read more, please see "The Gut Microbiome and the Gut-Brain-Axis".
Healthy Red Velvet Chia Pudding Recipe
Ingredients for 2 large to 4 small servings:
- 1 can (1.5 cups) organic full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 1 to 2 packets Crushed Tonic probiotic collagen* (optional; see note below)
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp beetroot powder
- pinch of sea salt
- optional stevia or raw honey (nonvegan) to taste
- 6 Tbsp white chia seeds
- optional toppings: probiotic coconut or Greek yogurt, unsweetened toasted coconut, raw cacao nibs, or whatever your heart desires!
*Notes: I used 2 packets of Crushed Tonic probiotic collagen. Each packet contains 10 grams marine collagen, 1 billion cultures of probiotics, and 1,000 mcg of biotin. Omit for vegan, with the option to add one scoop natural protein powder (such as Sunwarrior Warrior Blend natural).
- Put all ingredients except chia seeds into a bowl or blender container and whisk or blend on high until well-mixed.
- Add-in chia seeds and whisk or blend on low until combined.
- Pour into a bowl or single-serving mason jars and seal tightly.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, then whisk or shake well and put in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, add toppings, serve & enjoy!