Get a little vitamin C action with this tangy treat! It's a fun and satisfying alternative to lemon water.
SLICE OF LEMON HEAVEN was inspired by my favourite lemon poppy seed cake and has become one of my son's all-time fav smoothies.
Poppy seeds add lovely colour, crunch and nuttiness. They are also rich in fibre and mineral including calcium, phosphorus and zinc.
For 2 servings, blend together until smooth:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ripe or frozen banana
- 1/2 cup peeled and de-seeded diced fresh lemons*
- 1/2 cup Greek or coconut yogurt
- 2 Tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 serving packet or scoop collagen peptides (optional)
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- raw honey (nonvegan) or pure stevia to sweeten as desired
Notes: This makes a refreshing and slightly mouth-puckering shake. To make it less tangy, reduce the lemon and/or use additional banana or yogurt. Blend in 3-4 standard size ice cubes (regular or coconut milk frozen in ice cube trays) as desired to make extra frothy and cold. Garnish with poppy seeds and lemon zest.