Coconut, jackfruit and pineapple are a super tasty tropical trio! They can be blended together to make a simple fruity shake, or combined with protein and superfood boosters for a complete and satisfying brekkie.
I discovered the exotic jackfruit during my first trip to India. It has such a unique taste and texture that it is certainly worth trying! However, if jackfruit is not readily accessible, this smoothie also works well with mango or pineapple alone.
Pineapples are native to South America but were first discovered by Europeans on the Caribbean island of Guadalupe in the 1400s. Pineapple is rich in vitamins (especially vitamin C), minerals and antioxidants, as well as a complex enzyme called bromelain. This protein-digesting compound is believed to have numerous health benefits, including anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and pro-digestive effects.
For 2 servings, blend together until smooth:
- 3/4 cup canned organic coconut milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 3/4 cup ripe jackfruit pods
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen pineapple
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- optional pure stevia or raw honey (nonvegan) to sweeten as desired
Optional adds for a "real meal deal" & superfood boost:
- 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds (gf if needed) or 1 scoop natural protein powder or 1 to 2 scoops collagen peptides (nonvegan) or 1 cup Greek yogurt (nonvegan) for protein
- 2 Tbsp white chia seeds (fibre)
- 2 tsp gelatinized maca powder (energizing adaptogen)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (natural anti-inflammatory)