Coconut quinoa is great gluten-free breakfast option. Here, I have added hemp, flax and chia seeds for some extra protein, fibre, minerals, antioxidants, and healthy fats! This porridge can be made ahead for a quick morning meal and served hot or cold.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1/2 cup uncooked gluten-free quinoa
- 1 cup canned organic coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp shelled hemp seeds (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free flaxseed meal
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pure stevia, honey (nonvegan) or maple syrup to sweeten as desired
- optional toppings: fresh or dried fruit, nuts, nut butter, nondairy milk and/or a drizzle of pure maple syrup
- Wash the quinoa. To do this, place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer sitting in a bowl. Cover with water and gently rub the grains together with your hands for 30 seconds. Rinse and drain. Repeat this process 2 more times.
- Combine the quinoa and coconut milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes with occasional stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir-in shelled hemp seeds, flaxseed meal, ground chia, and vanilla.
Serve with your favourite toppings or refrigerate for 3 to 4 days and enjoy warm or cold. Here, I have added pistachios, dried goji berries, cashew butter, fresh figs, some cashew milk, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup.