Quinoa is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Here, I have turned it into a healthy fat and superfood-boosted chocolate & almond butter breakfast porridge! It can be made ahead for a quick morning meal and served hot or cold.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup uncooked gluten-free quinoa
- 1 cup canned organic coconut milk (I used full-fat)
- 4 Tbsp almond butter
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2-3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp maca powder (optional)
- 2 Tbsp shelled gluten-free hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- small amount unsweetened almond milk as needed (for desired consistency)
- pure stevia, maple syrup, or raw honey (nonvegan) to sweeten as desired
- optional toppings: fresh or dried fruit and nuts, puffed quinoa, cacao nibs, unsweetened shredded coconut
- Wash the quinoa. To do this, place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer sitting in a bowl. Cover with water and gently rub the grains together with your hands for 30 seconds. Rinse and drain. Repeat this process 2 more times.
- Combine the quinoa and coconut milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to low, stir-in almond butter, chia seeds, cacao and maca. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes with occasional stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir-in hemp seeds, flaxseed meal, and vanilla. Add additional almond milk as needed to achieve desired consistency. Sweeten to taste.
Serve with your favourite toppings. Here, I have added dried pineapple, puffed quinoa, almonds and cacao nibs. Alternatively, Almond Butter Cup Quinoa can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days and enjoyed cold or reheated before serving.