The red velvet cupcake-inspired smoothie was such a hit at my house that we used the concept for a chia pudding, too!
Chia seeds have a mild nutty taste and are super healthy and versatile. They are rich in fibre, minerals, protein, antioxidants, and healthy fats.
Purple beets bring lots of nutrition along with a natural earthy sweetness and red-velvet-like colour to this recipe.
Beets have been cultivated for thousands of years. They have long been celebrated as an aphrodisiac given their ability to boost energy and libido. They are packed with vitamins, minerals and fibre, including vitamin C, folate, magnesium and boron. Beetroot also contains impressive amounts of powerful phytonutrients known as betalains. These natural red pigments are believed to have anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and detoxifying effects.
Ingredients for 4 Servings:
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced peeled purple beets (gently cooked or raw shredded)
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao power
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- pure maple syrup, raw honey (nonvegan), or stevia to sweeten as desired
- Whisk together chia seeds, almond milk and vanilla.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then whisk again. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, divide the chia pudding in half.
- Blend one portion with beets, cacao and sweetener as desired.
- Mix the remaining half with coconut cream and additional sweetener to taste.
- Layer and serve!