What luck!! The day after my youngest chicklet was asking me about lychee fruit, there they were fresh and plump in the produce section!
Lychees are amazing little round or heart-shaped fruits native to southern China. They are now grown in many subtropical regions, including California and Florida.
Inside the leathery red skin, the fruit is translucent, white and juicy. Lychees have a delightful floral fragrance and sweet taste, with notes of cherry and grape.
Lychees are loaded with vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants. They are particularly rich in rutin, a bioflavonoid polyphenol recognized for strengthening blood vessels.
For 2 servings, blend together until smooth:
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 cup peeled and pitted lychees
- 1 cup canned organic coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 scoop unflavoured protein powder
- pure maple syrup, stevia or agave to sweeten as desired