This is a refreshing and tangy "detox" drink that even my 12-yr-old enjoys. It gets a bitter-sweet-citrusy taste from the grapefruit & lime and a slightly spicy kick from the fresh ginger.
Grapefruit is rich in minerals, fibre and vitamins including vitamin C. The pink and red varieties get their lovely hue from lycopene, a carotenoid phytonutrient that has been found to have powerful anti-cancer effects. Ruby red season in the southern United States runs from November through until spring.
I have also added cilantro for an extra boost of freshness, vitamins and antioxidants! Cilantro is one of those foods that people seem to either love or hate. It has been shown that approximately 10% of the population carries an olfactory-receptor (smell) gene that makes cilantro taste like soap! If you find cilantro hard to handle, you can substitute fresh parsley or kale.
If serving this as a meal or more substantial snack, I would add healthy fats and protein. See suggestions below.
For 2 servings, blend together until smooth:
- 2 cups peeled diced and deseeded red grapefruit
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut water
- juice from one lime
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 Tbsp of grated fresh ginger (adjust to taste)
- optional raw honey (nonvegan) or stevia to sweeten as desired
For a "real meal deal", consider adding the following:
- 1/2 ripe avocado or 1 Tbsp coconut butter or MCT oil
- 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds or 1-2 packets/scoops collagen peptides or protein powder of choice