With loads of protein, healthy fats, and fibre, this cherry quinoa bowl is a real breakfast of champions!
Quinoa is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Plus it can be made ahead for a quick meal the following day.
This recipe can be made with fresh or frozen cherries. Similarly, the cherries can be stirred-in whole or blended as they were here.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1/2 cup uncooked gluten-free quinoa
- 1 cup canned organic coconut milk (plus extra for blending)
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free flaxseed meal (optional)
- 2 Tbsp whole or ground chia seeds (optional)
- 1 scoop unflavoured or vanilla protein powder of choice (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pure stevia, raw honey (nonvegan) or maple syrup to sweeten as desired
- 2 cups pitted cherries (I used frozen)
- optional toppings: fruit, nuts, seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, homemade granola
- Wash the quinoa. To do this, place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer sitting in a bowl. Cover the quinoa with water and gently rub the grains together with your hands for 30 seconds. Rinse and drain. Repeat this process 2 more times.
- Combine the washed quinoa and 1 cup coconut milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes with occasional stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir-in flaxseed meal, chia, protein powder and vanilla extract. Sweeten to taste.
- Chill or refrigerate overnight.
- Add the cherries just before serving. These can be stirred in whole or puréed. For puréed version, place cherries in blender container with a small amount of coconut milk and process until relatively smooth. Add-in the chilled quinoa and pulse-blend a few times to mix but maintain a chewy texture.
Serve with your favourite toppings such as homemade granola, shredded coconut, nuts and fresh fruit.